Why should I take the DevOps Fundamentals course?
This course is designed to provide the core education necessary to build your DevOps vocabulary and to understand its principles and practices. With the help of key DevOps concepts and terminology, real-life case studies, examples and interactive group discussions and exercises, you will acquire a fundamental understanding of DevOps.
Who should attend this class?
Typical job roles include:
- DevOps engineer or product owner
IT Operations or IT business manager
- Incident and change manager
- System or network administrator
- Automation or enterprise architect
- IT Consultants
What is included?
The course includes:
- 3-days classroom training from a DevOps Approved Trainer
- Accredited course material including sample exam questions
- DevOps Fundamentals exam + Certificate
What will I learn?
By the end of the course you will be ready to:
• Explain the drivers responsible for the emergence of DevOps
• Define and discuss the key concepts and principles of DevOps
• List and explain the business benefits of DevOps and continuous delivery
• Describe the Service Delivery process
• Explain the concepts of test automation, infrastructure automation, and build and deployment automation
• Describe how DevOps relates to Lean and Agile methodologies
• Summarize case studies of IT organizations that are making the transformation to Adaptive IT and DevOps models
• List the most common and popular DevOps tools.
• Discuss the critical success factors for DevOps implementation
What are the course prerequisites?
There are no prerequisites to take this course. Basic familiarity with Agile, Scrum, Lean, and ITSM principles is beneficial .
What are the course contents?
This is the full DASA DevOps Fundamentals course. It covers the full DevOps Fundamentals syllabus and includes sample exams .
Course & DevOps Introduction
• Overview & Course Objectives
• Know the historical development of DevOps
• Core concepts underlying DevOps and the DevOps Agile Skills Association (DASA)
• Key elements of the Business Case for DevOps
• Principal benefits of DevOps and DevOps definitions
• The culture of high-performance IT
• Relationship between DevOps, Agile and Lean IT
• DevOps principles and aspects of IT
• Qualification scheme, mission and vision
• Possible problems that can arise
• Core principles of DevOps
• Competence framework (8 knowledge areas and 4 skills)
• Three core profiles
• Building your DevOps organization around teams
• Three Horizons Model for Innovation
• Cultural aspects of the Team
• Service Mindset and Quality at the Source
• Team building
• Continuous improvement
• DevOps Leadership
• Impact of DevOps on the organization
• Traditional structuring of teams and waste
• Activity-focused versus product-focused approaches
• Criteria for autonomous teams
• Conway’s Law and Organizations’ Architecture
• Solving autonomy problems
• Aim of IT architecture
• Relation between complexity and quality
Micro Services Architecture (MSA)
• Moving from legacy to smaller services
• Governance within teams and between multiple teams
• Scrum of Scrums with Agile teams to coordinate and collaborate
• Definition and key components of a process: goal, result, input, throughput, output, customer
• DevOps in relation it ITSM
• Optimizing processes using Lean
• Story mapping
• Advantages and disadvantages of developing software using Waterfall approach
• Team and focus on delivery of value
• Continuous delivery and its impact on DevOps team’s performance
• Cycle time reduction
• Types of feedback
• Build and software package delivery flow
• Test and optimized software validation (tests)
• Deployment benefits and strategies
• Continuous delivery backlog
Cloud Technology and Principles
• National Institute of Standardization (NIST)
• DevOps Platform Teams as a “Cloud” Service Provider
• Different Types of Clouds to Operate
Which exam is included in this course?
This course includes the DevOps Fundamentals Online exam .
DevOps Fundamentals exam
Your DevOps exam is designed to test your knowledge and understanding of the first level of DevOps.
- 40 multiple choice questions
- Closed book exam
- 60 minutes duration
- 65% needed to pass - 26 correct marks
When is the exam taken?
Your DevOps Fundamentals exam is taken on Wednesday afternoon.
How does the course prepare me for the DevOps Fundamentals exam?
The course follows the official DevOps Fundamentals exam syllabus. The accredited training materials are cross referenced to areas of the exams so that you are fully prepared. During the course, you practice with the latest exam paper written by DASA.
Do I need ID for the DevOps exam?
You must bring photographic ID with you. A driver's license or passport is fine. A work ID, with photograph, is also acceptable.
How long does my DevOps qualification last?
The DevOps Fundamentals qualification is permanent.
What happens if I don't pass the DevOps exam?
If you don't pass the exam you can retake the DevOps Fundamentals exam at the next class or online for an additional fee.
Can I just take the DevOps exams with you?
Sorry, no. We are an Accredited Training Organization for DevOps, so we are not permitted to offer just exams.
Where is the class held?
Our courses are held at quality downtown venues in all major Canadian cities. You will be close to transport links and parking.
What are the class hours?
- Monday to Wednesday 8.30 AM to 4:30 PM
How many PDUs do I get for this course?
PMPs can claim 21 PDUs at the PMI for the DevOps Fundamentals course. (12 Technical PDUs, 3 Leadership PDUs, 6 Strategic PDUs)