BETTER BUSINESS CASES ONLINE
Why should I take the Better Business Cases Foundation and Practitioner course?
Your Business Case is the most important document in your project. It sets out WHY your project is worth doing and WHAT benefits it will deliver. Better Business Cases training helps you justify your spending proposals using an officially approved process.
Better Business Cases (BBC) is a systematic and objective approach to develop the business case. It sits alongside the HM Treasury’s Green Book guidance. The syllabus is based on the Welsh Government's Five Case Model and the publication ‘Delivering Public Value from Spending Proposals Green Book Guidance on Public Sector Businesses Cases Using the Five Case Model’ which works with Green Book guidance. BBC is already in use with the UK, Welsh and New Zealand Governments.
Can I see a Demo of your BBC Online Learning?
Yes. Request a BBC demo and we'll set you up with a preview so you can try out the system first
Who should take this course?
The Better Business Cases Foundation and Practitioner training is designed for anyone with a role in ensuring that the organization makes best use of investments by maximizing the benefits from projects, programs and the portfolio. This will include:
- Program and project managers
- Business case developers and analysts
- PMO teams in Portfolio, Program or Project offices
- Accountants or Financial Advisors
- Business Analysts
- Directors of Finance and Procurement and Planning
What is included?
The course includes:
- Access to our accredited BBC Foundation e-Learning material for 1 year
- Official manual: "International Guide to developing the Project/Program Business Case" (Electronic version)
- Accredited course material including sample exam questions
Dashboard and Module reporting so you can track your progress
- Better Business Cases Foundation and Practitioner Online exams 24/7 (webcam required) + Certificate
- 28 PDUs if you are a PMP
What will I learn?
By the end of the course you will be ready to:
- Explain the importance of the business case and the types of business case
- Apply the Five Case model.
- Fit with best practice assurance and approvals.
- Take and pass the Better Business Cases Foundation and Practitioner exams
What are the course prerequisites?
There are no course prerequisites in terms of experience and you do not need to show a record of work in management. You need to complete about 20 hours of study for each level.
What are the course contents?
This is the full APMG Better Business Cases course. It covers the full Better Business Cases syllabus to Practitioner level and includes sample exams.
Key Learning Points
Understanding Better Business Cases
- Why is the business case important?
- 8 common causes of project failure
5 Types of Business Case you can use
- Strategic Outline Programme
- Strategic Outline Case
- Outline Business Case
- Full or Final Business Case
- Business Justification Case
Applying the 5 Case Model
- Strategic Case - is it applicable?
- Economic Case - is it appropriate?
- Commercial Case - is it attractive?
- Financial Case - is it affordable?
- Management Case - it is achievable?
How BBC works with Best Practice
- Project and programme management
- Gateway review process
Practical exercises and discussions
- The Strategic Outline Programme for policy, regulation and grants programmes
- How to develop the business case from Strategic Outline to Full Business case
- Using the Business Justification Case for minor spending proposals
Better Business Cases exams
- Sample Foundation and Practitioner exams
- Exam tips and technique
Which exams are included in this course?
This course includes the Better Business Cases Foundation and Practitioner Online exams .
Better Business Cases Foundation exam
This is your first Better Business Cases exam designed to test your knowledge and understanding of Better Business Cases
- 50 multiple choice questions
- Closed book exam
- 40-minute duration
- 50% needed to pass - 25 correct marks
Better Business Cases Practitioner Exam
Your second Better Business Cases exam tests your ability to apply the Better Business Cases guidance to a realistic scenario. You are required to show that you can analyze situations and make decisions using the standard appropriately. You must pass the Foundation exam to sit the Practitioner.
- 5 Objective Testing style questions with 20 points per question. A total of 80 marks are available
- Open book exam, but only the International Guide to developing the Project/Program Business Case can be used
- 2.5-hour duration
- 50% needed to pass - 40 correct marks
Where do I take the BBC exams?
When you are ready to take the exams, we will send you a prepaid exam voucher. You will be able to schedule the exams in the portal anytime you want 24/7. A webcam is required to identify yourself to the proctor with a photographic ID and then you can do the exam online from home.
How does the course prepare me for the Better Business Cases Foundation and Practitioner exams?
The course follows the official Better Business Cases Foundation and Practitioner exam syllabus. The accredited training materials are cross referenced to areas of the exams so that you are fully prepared. During the course, you practice with the latest exam papers written by APMG.
How long does my Better Business Cases qualification last?
The Better Business Cases Foundation and Practitioner qualifications are permanent. You will receive a lifetime certificate.
What happens if I don't pass a BBC exam?
If you don't pass a Better Business Cases exam you can retake a different one. We'll send you your score and a question by question breakdown of your paper. You can retake the Better Business Cases exam online for an additional fee.
Can I just take the Better Business Cases exams with you?
Sorry, no. We are an Accredited Training Organization for Better Business Cases so we are not permitted to offer just exams.
Can I split the Better Business Cases Foundation and Practitioner course?
Yes. You may prefer to take the Foundation first, apply some of your new knowledge and then come back and upgrade to Practitioner. We don't charge you extra if you book the course as one event, but take it on two different occasions.
How many PDUs do I get for this course?
PMPs can claim 28 Technical PDUs at the PMI for the Better Business Cases Foundation and Practitioner course.
The course on this page is offered by Training Bytesize, an Accredited Training Organisation of The APM Group Ltd.